Friday, February 22, 2008

I often don't listen to advice form my big sister. One of the first things I really remember hearing was the day I got cut from rushing at IU . I was hysterical on my sterile dorm room floor. Switching between sobbing and listing off my worries to her on the phone. She told me to not worry about things before they happen. She was referring to my concern about who I was going to live with the following year, I was POSITIVE that I would have no friends that wouldn't end up rushing and would end up living alone.
It wasn't the first time she had said that too me, but thankfully I was vulnerable enough to listen.

Naturally the stars fell in to place when I didn't try to control my life, things worked out differently than I planned- but it was OK. Funny enough, I was worried about living alone and here I am almost 2 years later sitting in my single bedroom apartment, that I work my ass off to have.

This week I kind of had the same situation happen. I had writers block on an essay that I kept beating myself up over, money problems, 2 tests that I wouldn't study for until I finished my essay , the fear then that I was going to turn my essay in late and screw up my grade, and then to top it off I gave myself a tummy ache from mindlessly eating gummy bears (OK the last thing is something I deserved:) .

I took my business and psych tests instead of trying to get out of them, they weren't bad (It's amazing what going to class does..... you don't have to learn the stuff the night before the test on your own... it's really astounding). Running now on scholarly confidence and a caffeine high, I went to my English teachers office before class. I was honest- told her I didn't was to skip class, but I didn't have my essay. Like all college professors SHOULD- she gave me props on being honest, and told me thanks for telling her, turn it in when it's something I'm proud of.
I can't go back now and stop myself from having the 3 day long tension headache..... but I can remind myself that it all turned out OK, no matter how much I worried.


The week also just keeps getting better! I didn't have to work today because of the snow (paid vacation:) and now i'm off to a a cabin all weekend to plan for the summer with the rest of the leadership team. It's such a werid feeling that it's finally our turn (Our meaning the fact Kientz, Erin, Allison, Dani and I) will finally be sitting at a leadership meeting. I wouldn't describe it as a power surge, just pure bliss. One of our planned activities is sledding..... This is going to be a GREAT weekend.

No comments: